Three Bean Chicken Soup gets the party started with great flavor and soothing comfort. It’s a healthy soup for cold, winter nights and chilly days at home.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 sweet peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 cup diced chicken
- 1 (32 oz) carton chicken broth
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can chili beans
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- sour cream, cheese, cilantro and tortilla chips to garnish (optional)
- In a large dutch oven or stock pot, sauté onion and diced peppers in butter or olive oil for a several minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken, then continue to stir until browned.
- Pour in chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add canned beans (undrained), tomatoes and corn. Stir well.
- Season with cumin, turmeric, garlic powder and pepper.
- Add chopped fresh cilantro and mix all ingredients together.
- Simmer soup for 20 minutes on low heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips if desired.
Creamed corn acts as a thickening agent in this recipe, but canned corn can be substituted if desired.
Soup can be frozen in airtight containers for up to 3 months after cooled completely.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: three bean soup, southwestern soup, chicken tortilla soup