The Carolina Burger originated in the coastal and piedmont areas of North and South Carolina, and boy…is it ever tasty!
- 1 (16 oz) package coleslaw mix
- 2 Tbsp. minced onion
- 3/4 cup Duke’s Mayonnaise (ad)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. celery seed
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet chili seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 pound ground chuck (80%)
- 1 tsp. steak seasoning
- 2 slices cheddar cheese, optional
- 2 bakery buns
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. diced onions for topping
- For slaw, mix ingredients together in a large bowl and refrigerate until ready for use.
- For chili, brown ground beef in a skillet (ad) over medium heat, then add chili seasoning, water, onion and ketchup. Simmer for 10 minutes until meat is tender and chili is thickened.
- For burgers, pat ground chuck into patties and sprinkle with steak seasoning. Fry in skillet (ad) over medium heat until cooked throughout. Top with cheddar cheese until it melts.
- To assemble burgers, spread yellow mustard on inside of buns. Place hamburger patty on bottom bun. Top with chili, then add slaw and onions. Close with top bun.
- Insert a steak knife (ad) into top bun to hold burger together.
Serve Carolina Burgers with an extra side of homemade chili and slaw.
- Category: Sandwiches
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hamburgers, chili burgers, the carolina burger