AFFILIATE LINKS: Quiche My Grits participates in affiliate programs, which means I make commission if you click through an affiliate link and purchase a qualifying item.
READY TO START A BLOG?
- That’s awesome! Believe me, if I can start a blog, so can you!
- You don’t have to be a computer whiz to get started, but it does help to do some research. I was in your shoes not long ago, and received excellent help along the way. By following the suggestions below, you’ll be blogging before you know it.
FIND YOUR NICHE
- HELP OTHERS: What talents do you have? To find your niche, think about how you can help others learn a skill you possess. For instance, I’ve had lots of experience cooking southern meals and hosting large events. By helping others do the same, I’m teaching them a skill they want to learn. When you aim to solve problems for your readers, your blog will be on its way to success.
- SEARCH FOR A DOMAIN NAME: After you find your niche, you’ll want to choose a name for your blog that reflects your focus. The hardest part is finding one that nobody else has gobbled up. I went through dozens of names before I found one that wasn’t taken. Go to NAMECHECK to search for domain names and see if your choice is available across social media and free of trademarks. This free service is awesome! If possible, choose a name that is available in every category. You don’t want to set up your blog only to find out later someone has your identical name on Facebook or Instagram.
SET UP YOUR BLOG
- CHOOSING A HOST: Think of a host as the place you’ll be parking your site, much like the host at a party. The party is your website…and the host is who makes it happen! You’ll want to choose a host you can depend on, and one that makes it affordable for first time bloggers.
- BLUEHOST: My recommendation for beginners who want to start a blog is to choose BLUEHOST. They are the host I use, and I’ve been very pleased with their service. BLUEHOST has a great deal where you get both hosting and a FREE domain name for only $3.95 a month…which is amazing! And, they offer a 30 day money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. They’ll even help you sign up with WordPress, which provides the necessary tools to create your blog 🙂
- SIGN UP: If you’ve found a domain name that works for you, go ahead and register it with BLUEHOST as soon as you can so you won’t lose it. Then, you’ll be ready to have some fun!
CREATE YOUR PASSION
- THEMES AND DESIGN: Here’s the fun part. There are literally thousands of themes out there for you to choose from. Research which themes are best and find the perfect one that fits your concept. I used the FOODICA PRO THEME from WPZOOM. I couldn’t be happier with the support I’ve received from WPZOOM, which is very important when you’re first getting started.
- GET HELP: The most helpful community for food bloggers online is FOOD BLOGGER PRO. Everything from tips on WordPress to developing your concept and beyond is available at FOOD BLOGGER PRO. I can’t say enough great things about their awesome customer service and instructional videos! As soon as you can, subscribe to their services so you’ll start on the right foot.