Serve Southern Tomato Pie with a crisp green salad for a delicious vegetarian meal. There's nothing like juicy tomatoes surrounded in fresh herbs topped with a flavorful cheese sauce.
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers
- 1/2 stick butter
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced
- dash of salt for draining tomatoes
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- dash of garlic powder and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place crackers in a gallon size plastic bag and close.
- Pound crackers with a rolling pin or back of spoon until crumbly.
- Add melted butter to bag, mix well and pour into a 9" pie plate.
- Press crumbs into bottom and up sides of pie plate.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Remove and cool for 15 minutes.
- Line a sheet pan with paper towels.
- Slice tomatoes and line them up on the paper towels in a single layer. Sprinkle salt over tomatoes and allow to drain into towels for 15 minutes.
- Pat tomatoes dry with additional paper towels.
- Mix fresh basil and thyme together.
- Add the tomatoes to the pre-baked pie crust in layers, alternating with herb mixture.
- With a mixer, blend cream cheese, parmesan, cheddar, and mayonnaise in a separate bowl until creamy.
- Add garlic powder and pepper. Stir well.
- Add cheese mixture to tomatoes in large spoonfuls. Gently spread over pie.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown and bubbly.
- Cool pie for 15 minutes before serving.
Serve Southern Tomato Pie with a crisp green salad and crusty bread for a delicious vegetarian meal.
If you dislike mayonnaise, leave it out and this pie will still be really good! You'll just have to take extra care when spreading the topping over the tomatoes because it will be thick.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: tomato pie, southern tomato pie, tomato pie recipe, basil, thyme, herbs, parmesan, cheddar, mayo, mayonnaise, best tomato pie