Shortcut Chicken and Dumplings are a classic southern meal with a twist! Discover the secret ingredient that makes it easier than ever to enjoy this hearty dish.
- 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cans (10 1/2 oz) cream of chicken soup
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned pepper (or coarse ground pepper)
- 1 roll refrigerated pie crust dough
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a dutch oven.
- Turn off heat and add cream of chicken soup. Whisk until soup is creamy with no lumps.
- Add shredded chicken, diced onions, celery, seasoned pepper, garlic powder and dried oregano. Stir well and keep warm until dumplings are made.
- Roll out refrigerated dough onto a flour surface and cut into 2 x 1/2 inch strips with a pizza cutter.
- Bring mixture in dutch oven back to a boil. Drop pieces of dough into the boiling mixture one at a time, stirring after adding 5 strips.
- Repeat process until all dough has been added.
- Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently until dough is cooked.
- Turn off heat and stir in half and half. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Using refrigerated pie crust dough and cream of chicken soup cuts the prep time considerably.
It's best to use low sodium chicken broth since the soup adds enough sodium.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Soups, Main Dishes
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: chicken and dumplings, soup, main dishes