At the top of every bucket list should be a trip to New York City…especially if you’ve been a southern girl all of your life.
One of the first things I recommend is to visit the Brooklyn Bridge…and take a stroll across its majestic planks. I’ve never felt as alive as I do while standing on this incredible feat of mankind. It seems strange now, but the first time I visited, I was terrified to make the journey.
“STRETCH those bicycle pants!” pleaded my cousins from New York. So, I did. Now the Brooklyn Bridge is one of my favorite destinations.
I’ve been to NYC four times and hope to travel back as soon as possible. Every time I go, I feel a sense of renewed strength. After fighting breast cancer, my trials appear much smaller against the backdrop of New York’s giant skyscrapers. 🙂
On my first visit to New York, all we did was eat. Actually, now that I think about it, every trip has been about WHEN to eat, WHERE to eat, and WHAT we’re gonna eat. Have Mercy!
Below is my short list of food stops that I highly recommend. There are probably a million restaurants in New York, but these are the ones we stumbled upon and loved. None of these eateries are fancy, but hey…neither are we. 🙂
- Ess-a-Bagel – the real deal when it comes to bagels in NYC
- Hungarian Pastry Shop – adorable pastries in a cute cafe’
- Levain Bakery – the best cookies you’ll ever eat in your life
- Magnolia Bakery – famous cupcakery with a line out the door
- Junior’s – best NY cheesecake, plus they serve grits for breakfast!
- Katz Deli – a pastrami sandwich that’s incredibly over the top!
- Grimaldi’s Pizza – amazing pizza parlor under the Brooklyn Bridge
- Westside Market – beautiful fruits and veggies on the west side
- Toloache – Mexican bistro with delicious guacamole & margaritas
- Burger & Lobster – lobster rolls that are too good to be true
- Robert at Columbus Circle – stellar rooftop views with stunning food
- Veniero Pasticceria – creamy Italian pastries created since 1894
- Zest Sushi – decadent sushi in a fun street-side location
- Carmine’s Italian Restaurant – quaint and authentic Italian cuisine
NEW YORK CITY VIEWS
If you’ve been to NYC, you know there’s something to see at every turn. I created a little slideshow of my favorite things. It includes top spots you don’t want to miss!
What are your favorite New York memories?