Homestyle Mac and Cheese is the creamiest, cheesiest, and tastiest macaroni you’ll ever eat. It’s made with three cheeses and topped with crunchy bread crumbs to create the perfect homemade side dish!
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar (shredded by hand)
- 8 oz. shredded gouda cheese
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil macaroni in salted water for 5 minutes, drain.
- While pasta is boiling, shred cheddar cheese by hand.
- In a large skillet, melt butter, then add macaroni and cream cheese.
- Melt over medium heat while stirring constantly.
- Add cheddar and gouda. Continue to stir while cheese melts.
- Pour in evaporated milk and half and half. Stir well until cheese thickens.
- Add salt, garlic salt, ground mustard and pepper. Mix until blended.
- Spoon contents of skillet into a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Top with extra shredded cheese.
- Mix bread crumbs with melted butter and sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Mac and Cheese can be frozen before baking. To heat, bake in a 350 degree oven for at least one hour for best results.
This recipe can be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Stir in a little milk before baking at 350 degrees until bubbly. Add the bread crumbs just before baking.
- Category: Sides
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: macaroni and cheese, mac and cheese, homemade