Nothing could be finer than a piping hot slice of Southern Cornbread coming out of the oven!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place 1/2 stick butter in a cast iron skillet or baking dish. Melt in hot oven for 3 minutes.
- Take skillet out of oven and swirl the butter around to coat the pan.
- Add flour, buttermilk, egg and additional melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well. It’s okay for batter to have a few lumps.
- Pour batter into preheated buttered skillet and bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Category: Breads
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: southern cornbread, easy cornbread, self-rising cornmeal mix, easy southern cornbread, buttermilk, breads