It's hard to beat a heaping bowl of Creamy Chicken & Rice soup. Add a slice of cast iron cornbread, and you've got a southern meal!
- 32 oz. carton chicken broth
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, diced
- 6 oz pkg. long grain wild or white rice, uncooked
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp. cracked black pepper
- dash of garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch, mixed with 3 Tbsp. water to make a thin paste
- 1 cup half & half
- salt to taste (it may be salty enough if you use regular chicken broth)
- In a large dutch oven, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Add chicken, uncooked rice, peas, carrots, onion, pepper and garlic powder.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Mix cornstarch with water to make a paste.
- Take soup off of heat and add cornstarch mixture. Stir until soup thickens.
- Add half & half and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve piping hot.
Add a cup of water during the cooking process if the rice thickens the chicken broth too much.
- Category: Soups
- Method: Dutch Oven
- Cuisine: Southern
Keywords: chicken and rice soup, soup, rice, creamy chicken, rice, hearty, comfort food