Old Fashioned Chocolate Sheet Cake is the best you've ever tasted. It's dense, luscious, and topped with a decadent chocolate icing.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 4 Tablespoons cocoa
- 1 stick butter
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 stick butter
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa
- 4 Tablespoons milk
- 1 pound box powdered sugar (4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add sugar, flour and cocoa. Stir and set aside.
- Boil butter, oil and water in a saucepan for 1 minute. Pour contents into dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Blend with a mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and buttermilk together. Pour into contents in mixing bowl.
- Mix batter for 1 minute on medium speed until combined.
- Pour batter into a 13 X 9 inch greased and floured pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix melted butter, cocoa and milk together. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Blend with a mixer on medium speed until creamy and smooth.
- If icing is too thick, add tiny amounts of milk until icing is shiny.
- Taste icing. If it is grainy, blend with a mixer on high speed until smooth.
- Pour icing over hot cake, starting at edges and working towards middle until cake is completely covered.
- Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
Make sure you use a mixer to make the icing or it will not set up properly.
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate, cake, chocolate cake, icing, frosting, chocolate icing, chocolate frosting, buttermilk cake